Exporting Legacy Wallets With Passwords
The old Bitcoin.com Wallet supported adding an additional password on your 12 word mnemonic. As of Bitcoin.com Wallet 6.0, we no longer support this format. Mobile users who had this wallet in their device have two options for retrieving their funds.
Note - do not delete the app if you had a password protected wallet
1 - Import that wallet to desktop wallet
Download the Bitcoin.com Wallet for Mac, Windows, or Linux.
- Tap the + symbol in the top right corner of Bitcoin Cash (BCH) or Bitcoin (BTC).
- Tap Import Wallet
- Enter your 12 word recovery phrase
- Tap “show advanced settings”
- Input the password you used when you created that wallet
- Tap Import
- Your funds are now accessible.
To continue using the Bitcoin.com Wallet for iOS or Android, please send those funds to a new wallet created using the new version of the App.
2 - Export Legacy Wallet File (Advanced)
If the first option fails to work, you will be required to perform an advanced migration using Electron Cash.
- Tap settings
- Tap Export legacy wallet
- This will create a profile file to your old wallet
- Migrate that file to your computer as securely as possible (we recommend usb connection)
- Install a desktop wallet with BIP39 passphrase (Electron Cash)
- Open the Profile file in a text editor and search for `mnemonic`
- Open Electron Cash
- File > New/Restore
- Click next then select Standard Wallet
- Select “I already have a seed”
- Type or paste in your mnemonic
- Click on Options and then enable both BIP39 seed and Extend this seed with custom words (aka 'passphrase') and then click OK
- Note their warning, click next if Checksum is OK
- Enter your password and then click next
- Change Derivation to m/44'/0'/0' and then click next
- Choosing a password is not required (this is not related to creating the wallet)
- Click next
- A new window will show up and your funds will be available
What if I don’t remember my password?
Bitcoin.com does not store passwords. They are kept only on your device. There is no way to reset the password. If the user doesn’t remember their password they may be able to recover their funds using the local xpriv. Contact our support team and we may be able to guide you through that process.